Havana Café & Bar Review



I was recently invited to cover an open mic poetry event hosted by the very talented Aranya Johar at Havana Cafe & Bar. The fact that I had never experienced a live poetry session till date was reason enough for me to make sure that I make it to this one.


Also the second thought in my mind of not being able to step in this Cuban inspired outlet despite of hearing so much about it instantly made me accept the invite. Hence, post a hectic Wednesday schedule, I decided to attend this meet in a black maxi skirt paired with my favourite cold sleeve top in a caramel apple shade.  Since my visit was pertaining to exploring and reviewing this restaurant, below is my experience

Havana Café has a quintessential 1950’s rich feel to it. It is a combination of a colonial style of decor’ mixed with a rich, vivid Cuban culture – walls depicting whimsical street art and pure pigments (bright hues) used just like you’d see on the streets of Cuba.  

Coming to the food and beverages, their menu comprises of plenty of cocktails (mainly rum based) and mojitos. My favourite from the variety of drinks was Jack Sparrow - consisting of white rum, kahlua and espresso, Zombie,  which is made up of 3 types of rum, grapefruit, grenadine, passion fruit, lime juice and absinthe - this one is also the Havana speciality and The Freedom Fighter , which contains white & dark rum, triple sec, bitters, orange juice, pineapple juice, lime juice and grenadine.

 In the finger food I went for a Veg Sharing Platter so that I could taste most of the dishes in small proportions. I personally think that platters are always a great order for people like me who love trying a variety of dishes in small quantities at a go. This platter comprised of Potato Bravas (similar to the wedges) with homemade garlic and mojo sauce, Fresh Corn Fritters with mint aioli, Nachos with sour cream and salsa, Beer Battered Onion Rings and Jalapeno Cheese Poppers with smokey tomato sauce! All the items tasted just the way they should – good - however, the beer battered onion rings were the highlight of the dish.

You cannot be coming to a Cuban themed place and not try their Cubanos! These are basically Cuban sandwiches served with homemade salsa, mojo sauce and nachos. They serve delicious Cubanos from exotic vegetable filling to seafood, ham, egg and chicken filling. Towards the end, I was way to stuffed to proceed to dessert. Also, I must add that Havana has customized a special menu with a Choice of 50 items: Beer, Cocktails, Food, Straights & Shots @Rs.72/- from 6-8 PM!


If you have already visited this place or are planning on visiting it anytime soon, do share your experience with me. Till then Stay hungry!


















Comments

Popular Posts